Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My diagnosis

For the past couple of years I have gotten really red from working out and when I take a shower my face is red and rashy for about a half an hour. I was trying to figure out what I have and I think this is it. Cholinergic or heat urticaria is a form of chronic hives that is caused by an increase in body temperature. Hives are caused by any increase in body temperature, such as hot showers, exercise, spicy foods, or being under too many covers in bed at night. Strong emotions may also cause hives to occur in people with cholinergic urticaria. So what I have to do is take cool showers, use lots of lotion, and try to stay cool. Last night I went to bed lathered with face lotion and David thought I was a little over the top.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

by rashy do you mean blotchy or is it bumpy and itchy too?

Unknown said...

good to know it isn't because you are chronically embarassed. ps- i never noticed you as blotchy, you always seem so sun kissed.

Nate, Allison,Ava and Hudson said...

i am literally laughing out loud right now. You are too funny!

Ben said...

Ha!

I know exactly what you mean. I have suffered with Cholinergic urticaria for the past 8 years off/on.

I have had my share of experiments, creams, and all sorts of things.

It isn't a fun condition, and mine is extremely itchy and stings when I get hot.

Lotion tends to help me some too, but not 100%. Some people get relief from antihistamines, but they are nearly worthless to me.

Anyway, I am sorry to hear you may have this too. I hope it goes away soon, and good luck.